Friday, August 3, 2012

#14- Hardly Ideal

It's nearly been a year since my last post. Let me sum up everything in one word: disillusioned.

The nursing school that I have been attending has failed to live up to all of its promises. No school will ever be perfect, I know, but if you promise something you should be able to live up to that promise. Case in point: the clinical experience thus far. So far, the only time I have ever acted as a nurse was when I gave a Lovenox shot. That's it. Throughout my clinical experience the class has been coddled and cautioned because no one will let the class be nurses. I have not inserted an IV, I have not inserted a catheter, I have not even been allowed to do a wound dressing. We were promised the opportunity to practice our skills for our future careers and instead we have been used as cheap labor making beds. THAT'S IT. I swear to everything holy when I get a job and live on my own I will never make another bed, not even my own. I am supposed to graduate in November. I don't feel like a nurse, I feel like a nurse's assistant that knows how to give medication.

That is pretty much the gist of it, without going into too much detail. However now new problems are cropping up.

For the last three months, on top of nursing school and clinicals and work, I have also been taking classes at a local community college to finish up prerequisites for a RN program, one step up from an LPN (where I'm at now). Fortunately I passed all three classes with good grades.

Unfortunately, I also have a speeding ticket. And not just a speeding ticket-- I'm being charged with reckless driving, which, in Virginia, is equivalent to such crimes as DUI and petty larceny. If convicted, I can pretty much kiss that spot in the RN program goodbye, I won't even be able to take the exam for my LPN license, and pretty much everything I have worked for in this last year will be for nothing and I might as well be dead.

Court date is September 7. God help me.

Regards,

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment